Observation Poster: Alexandru Tudorica <astrofireball@home.ro>
Observer: Alexandru Tudorica
Your skills: Beginner (< one year)
Date/time of observation: 16.04.2004 - 21:00 UT
Location of site: Ghirdoveni, Romania (Lat 44 deg. 55', Elev 260m)
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 6.5 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 6 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: Meade 90mm refractor (3.75"), Ecuatorial mount
Magnification: 38 X, 78 X
Filter(s): none
Object(s): NGC 4631 - The Whale Galaxy
Category: External galaxy.
Class: Spiral
Constellation: Canes Venatici
Data: mag 10.4  size 13' X 3,1'
Position: RA 12h:42'  DEC +32 deg: 32'
I had observed this galaxy "by mistake", but I was very impressed by
it, now it ranks at the best galaxy for me. It is pretty easy to
locate, and it is very impressive. Originally I had confuse this
galaxy with NGC 4656, a galaxy very close to it, but i didn't saw it,
especially becouse I didn't knowed were to look, on sky atlas 2000 the
position was confusing for me, becouse there is another galaxy. It is
of moderate brightness, and the dust lane it is very easy to
detect. There are no bright stars in the field; but i've plotted the
faintest ones, which were the straight trapezium on the lower left of
the picture of the website mentioned. Ngc 4627 was not visible in this
conditions.
--
Optional related URLs: http://www.san-fr.com/img_astr/det_img.php?image=ngc4631a
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: