Observation Poster: Ron B[ee] <ronby@cox.net>
Observer: Ron B[ee]
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 02/02/02 9:30pm
Location of site: 117h 9m W (Lat 32h 43m N, Elev 2000 ft)
Site classification: Exurban
Sky darkness: 5.2 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 6, but very transparent <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: TV-102 (102mm f/8.6 APO refractor)
Magnification: 22x, 73x, 110x, 146x, 220x
Filter(s): none
Object(s): NGC 2158
Category: Open cluster.
Class:
Constellation: Leo
Data: mag 8.6  size 5'
Position: RA :  DEC :
Astonishingly I stumbled across the writings of these old masters.  Houston
wrote “it is generally too difficult for apertures of less than 5 inches, and I
have only one other report of it being seen in a 4-inch.   Burnham wrote “A
very rich and distant galactic star cluster, located about half a degree
southwest of M35, looking like a faint nebulosity in a 6-inch glass…
Inconspicuous in the small telescope, resolvable only in large instruments…”
The NGC 2158 was easily caught by my 4-inch Light Cup at 22x near the zenith!
It's a lot dimmer than mag 8.6 (some reported it as mag 11).  In fact, another
faint OC, IC 2157 is nearby.  At 22x, the OC looks like a dim, hazy galaxy.
Clearer at 73x.  But at 110x, many tiny star points could be seen with averted
vision.  There’s a group of stars like an arrowhead at the edge of M35 that
points to NGC 2158.  At 146x, the OC looks a lot like a dim GC and some stars
could be resolved; although its form is irregular.  At 220x, there were some
stars now clearly resolved that form a straight line at the southern part of
the OC; here there seems to be more stars seen with averted vision than the
northern part of the OC.  A total of less than 10 stars seen.
--
Optional related URLs:
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: